Light at the end of the dark circles: top home remedies to get rid of dark circles under eyes
Dark circles under eyes are not a welcome appearance to anyone. Apart from giving you a tired look, they make you look older and give you a gruesome appearance.
Enlisted below are some causes of dark circles under the eyes:
- Heredity causes dark circles under the eyes i.e. If any of your family members possess the dark circles, presumably you may get the same. Gene- matters obviously!
- Anemia or basically iron deficiency can also be attributed towards dark circles under eyes. This is the exact reason why our elders force us into eating lots of green vegetables.
- Age is also an important factor when it comes to dark circles. With increasing age, the layer of skin below the eyes tends to weaken, hence accounting for the same.
- Nutritional deficiency or more specifically, lack of particular minerals and vitamins may quite often lead to dark circles.
- Prolonged exposure to sun causes quite a lot of damage to the thin layers of skin, and especially to the eyes, leading to weakening of the muscle cells and thus the dark circles.
- Smoking and drinking and other such bad habits causes a lot of damage to the body and dark circles may quite often result from the same due to slower rate of flow of blood.
- Periorbital hyperpigmentation is once such factor where the individual experiences high level of pigmentation around the eyes and different parts of the body.
- Fatigue, Mental stress and sleep deprival leads to the body craving for rest , thus trigerring the different hormonal changes, creating the dark circles to appear.
Speaking of dark circles, have you developed any around your eyes and are worried you are going to be stuck with them forever? We present you excellent home remedies to get rid of dark circles naturally using products (check out! Some may be lurking in your kitchen itself!)
Almond oil is an essential ingredient for enhancing health and beauty. Its use has been jotted down in history much before the advent of science and technology and their corresponding research on the goodness of seed oil.
The Vitamin E in the almond oil will rejuvenate the skin and with frequent use lighten the skin under the eyes
- At night, clean up all your eye make-up.
Pat your skin dry.
- Take some almond oil.
- Gently massage your skin around the eyes with the given nourishing oil for a couple of minutes specifically in the anticlockwise direction.
- Wash it off in the morning.
Cucumber is, on a large scale, the most useful home remedies to divest yourself of those sneaky dark circles around the eyes. It is believed to contain antioxidants like cucubitachins, orientin, isoscopatin, vitexin and other vitamins like vitamin C and vitamin K that help reduce the discoloration of the tinted part around the eyes.
- Cut chilled cucumber into round slices. Settle down in a comfortable position and close your eyelids.
- Place the slices on each of your eyes. Frequently replace the slice as it tends to become less cold. Repeat the whole process for about 12-15 minutes for achieving better and optimized results.
- Instead of using a cucumber slice, you can also squeeze the juice out of it. Get hold of some cotton and dip it in the juice and apply it around your eyes.
Fresh mint leaves can be of great help to the skin as they provide quite a cooling and replenishing effect to the eyes, thus soothing them eventually, helping get rid of the dark circles in particular and softening the skin for a beautiful feel.
- Apply crushed mint leaves mixed with cucumber paste under the eye for 4 minutes and wash it all out with cold water.
- Mint has this brilliant cooling effect, which immediately soothes the under eye region and cucumber is the legendary warrior of the under eye circle battle as discussed already in the article;
- Doing this treatment on a regular basis, can effectively reduce the dark circles and replenish and rejuvenate your under eye thus giving a finishing touch of vitality.
Potatoes are believed to remain cold for a greater span of time. Moreover, they contain antioxidants and are rich in Vitamin C together with various nutrients and other minerals that help supple the thin layer below the eye. Wonderful isn’t it?
- Make a potato pack by squashing frozen potatoes or just simply a cool smash of the grated potatoes in some cloth. Place the cloth for 8-15 minutes on both your eyes for better results.
- You can also grate a chilled potato to get the desired effect. Take a cotton ball dipped in the potato mix and keep the former on your eyes particularly the region under the eyes
- Grind pieces of cucumber and potato together. Extract the juice and cool it down in the refrigerator. Soak two cotton balls in the mixture and put them on your eyes for 10 to 15 minutes before washing off and watch the magic unfold!!
Rose water is a champion of all soothing remedies for eyes. It not only rejuvenates skin and reduces dark circles but also has a soothing effect on the tired eyes. Due to its mild astringent properties, it works well as a skin-toner too.
The miraculous properties of rose water also give you protection against dust, infections, itchiness, redness, and inflammation of the eyes.
- Soak cotton balls in cool rose water and apply to the under eye region for 5-10 minutes.
- Washing it off is unnecessary.
- Rose water nourishes and moisturizes the skin and brightens the eyes.
Tomatoes are an excellent and preferable solution for getting rid of dark circles under the eyes, as they naturally help to lighten the dark circles and also makes the skin soft, smooth and gentle.
- Mix one teaspoon of tomato juice with one teaspoon of lemon juice and apply it under your eyes.
- Keep it for about 10 minutes and wash it off with water. Repeat these steps at least twice a day.
- You can also drink tomato juice regularly mixed with some lemon juice and mint leaves in order to get rid of dark circles.
- You can also use it with a combination of tomato-turmeric-lemon eye pack for better results.
Lemon juice can be used alone or in combination with other natural ingredients to keep skin healthy, natural, firm, smooth, and bright. It has natural bleaching properties that lighten skin and tightens blood vessels to reduce It is antiseptic and antibacterial.. The vitamin C in it strengthens the immune system and the skin cells around the eyes.
- Juice out the fresh lemons.
- Use a cotton ball to apply the juice to the skin under eyes.
- Leave it on 15 minutes, rinse with water, and then pat dry.
- Repeat the above steps daily.
- For sensitive skin, mix lemon juice with water.
Orange juice as tasty as it seems, also offers a wide range of possibilities apart from its sweet juicy nature. The essential minerals it contains is enough for it to pose as an excellent natural remedy for replenishing the skin and the eyes.
- Mix some orange juice with a few drops of glycerin and apply this mixture over the dark circles. This helps diminish the dark circles and also give a natural glow to your eyes and a natural younger healthy looking and glowing skin.
It creates antioxidants and is nutrient rich but also contains the essential vitamins and minerals ample enough to create a glowing and
replenished effect on the skin. Imagine coconut oil doing oil the wonders. No wonder it is used for gentle oiling of hair in olden times.
- Simply dab the coconut oil under the eye region and massage it gently in an anticlockwise manner before going to bed at night.
- Coconut oil works miracles when it comes to soothing the skin and restoring the scathed under eye region thus rejuvenating the skin for a gentle and supple skin.
Castor oil has almost the same effect as almond oil. Castor oil contains some fatty acids which help replenish your skin. The most essential ingredient is the ricinoleic acid and has non-inflammatory properties and thus poses as the best remedy for the puffy condition of the eyes in addition to treating the gruesome dark circles.
- Fresh cream- 1 tsp
- Castor oil- 1 tsp
- Mix some oil with cream.
- Clean your face thoroughly to remove any cosmetic item if present.
- Pat the skin dry and carefully rub on the mixture on all sides your eyes.
- Leave it on for 15-20 mins.
- Wash it off with cold water and apply gently some night cream for best results.
Arnica herb has been used conventionally for number of medical conditions through centuries. This perfumed herb has anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic and astringent characteristics that relieve one of all types of aches and inflammations Arnica cream and gel are broadly used in the market for treating sprains, bruises and so on.
Important Note: Always dilute arnica oil with some other oil before application.
- Arnica oil- only 1-2 drops
- Carrier oil (olive, almond, or any other available oil) – 1 tbsp
- Add Arnica oil to the available carrier oil and mix it well
- Apply to the dark circles. Care should be taken that the oil should not get in to your eyes else it may prove toxic for the same.
- Exposure to it for longer periods of time should be avoided at all costs.
Worried about the dryness of the skin around your eyes? Are the dark circles showing much worse signs? Fear not, for avocado is just the ingredient to solve all your problems. The avocado includes vitamins including Vitamin E, Vitamin B and Vitamin K. Avocado moisturizes your dry skin.
- Cut avocado slices and put them on the eyes for 10-20 minutes.
- Squeeze an avocado and mix a few drops of almond oil to the paste accordingly Apply this paste to the dark circles and leave it on for about 10-20 minutes.
- One can even use avocado oil on the dark circles to get rid of them successfully.
Having sensitive skin? Dark circles? No worries! Night jasmine is just the product you are looking for dealing with such a problem. Jasmine blossoms which are infused into some sesame oil are best for the difficult sores. Moreover, this amazing natural herb is wonderful for the vulnerable skin owing to its anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. No wonder, these herbs are so very successfully employed to cure eye infections and diseases. It is quite harmless unlike the arnica which needs to be handled with care
- 2 drops of Jasmine essential oil
- 2 tbsp of Olive Oil/ Almond Oil/ Vegetable Oil
- Mix the jasmine oil and the corresponding additional oil.
- Around your dark circles, apply it.
- Massage gently for 3-4
- Leave it on for about 20-30 minutes.
- Wash it off.
Witch hazel has excellent and efficient astringent properties. It has been used by American Indians for treating numerous medical situations, including sores and swelling and all types of bruises. Witch hazel extract comprises of components like proanthocyanins, flavonoids, Tannin, essential oils like hexenol eugenol, carvacrol and choline and saponins and the like. All these components give witch hazel such magical characteristics that can efficiently cure the dark circles as such.
- Just soak 2 piece of cotton balls in witch hazel and place them on the eyes where there are dark circles for 4-9 minutes.
The most fragrant of all spices, nutmeg has been used by the Chinese medication and Ayurveda scholars to treat different medical conditions. It include various antioxidants, essential oils like safrole, eugenol and myristicin and vitamins C, B and A and also various minerals like iron. An extreme deficiency of iron often stands as a basic cause of the same. Ayurveda suggests using nutmeg with milk, a nutritious ingredient that contains excellent skin-lightening characteristics.
- 1 tbsp of Nutmeg powder
- In nutmeg powder add milk and make paste
- Apply this gently around your dark circles.
- Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash your face with warm water.
- For at least 2-3 days a week do it regularly
The anti – oxidants in tea bags make it a good remedy for treating dark circles and reducing puffiness. The caffeine component shrinks the blood carriers and reduces the fluid retention in the tissues around the eyes. Moreover, it contains tannins which stimulates blood circulation .They contain alkaloids which promote healthy skin cells all around the eyes. Cool isn’t it?
- Dip tea bags in a glass of hot water for few minutes.
- Squeeze the bags to remove any liquid.
- Place the content in a refrigerator for about 15 – 20 minutes to cool.
- Wash your face with coldwater and pat the skin dry.
- Lie down and place the chilled tea bags on eyes.
- Leave on for 10 – 20 minutes before removing.
- Rinse your face thoroughly with cool water to reduce any inflammation.
- Repeat 2-3 times daily.
This constricts blood vessels and diminishes the blue tint which ultimately leads to lessening of the dark circles around the eyes.
- Soak a clean cloth in cold water or milk for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Wring the cloth nicely and apply directly to the affected area.
- Leave for 4– 5 minutes.
- Repeat 3-4 times until results are visible.
Used through generations as an effective healer, turmeric does not back out of this list under this category. Turmeric contains curcumin which has anti-aging, and antibacterial properties that reduce inflammation and clear the pigmentation conditions of the same.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and some pineapple juice together.
- Apply to the affected area and leave it on for about 7 minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat it dry.
- Repeat daily.
Cold Milk, Milk cream and Almonds + Milk.
Milk contains lactic acid that helps moisturize the skin and soften it accordingly. It also contains enzymes, amino acids and antioxidants and the like which are very essential for treating dark circles.
- Soak cotton balls in cold milk from the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Place the cotton balls under the eyes Follow this remedy three or four times daily for a few weeks for better results.
- Wash off with lukewarm water always.
- Repeat for 3-4 days a week.
Chamomile tea has a lot of antioxidant and cleansing properties and hence is considered an excellent herb for the skin. It has been used as a disinfectant for minor wounds and possesses bleaching properties, which thus lightens your skin.
- Chamomile tea bags- 2
- Hot water- 1-2 cups
- Place the tea bags in a cup filled with hot water.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Cool the tea bags down to room temperature
- Refrigerate the tea bags accordingly.
- When they become cold enough, lie down and place them over your eyes.
- Wait for about 15-20 minutes before you take them off.
- Repeat these steps daily for better results.
Honey has excellent natural bleaching and antioxidant properties. The fact that bees work hard so much for it, derives great quality just because of its very true existence.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of cucumber juice with 2 teaspoons of organic honey.
- Apply on dark circles and leave on for a few minutes.
- Wash off the components with water.
- Follow this process at least 3 times a week.
- Note: You can also add 3 drops of almond oil to above mixture for enhanced effectiveness.
Aloe Vera Gel can be a wonderful choice to treat dark circles and wrinkles under the eye, since it contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E
- Clean your face thoroughly
- Apply Aloe Vera Gel to the skin under your eyes. Tap the gel onto your under eye skin gently and avoid rubbing it at all costs.
- Precautions should be taken not to let the gel into your eye to avoid irritation of the eye.
Diet and lifestyle remedies.
- Drink lots of water to avoid water maintenance.
- Consume lots of green vegetables.
- Reduce salt intake in your diet.
- Eat foods rich in vitamins A and E. Actually, a balanced diet, containing all the basic nutrients, including vitamins and minerals.
- 7-8 hours of sleep are considered a must.
- Be regular in your sleeping pattern
- Exercise daily.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun. Prefer wearing sunglasses.
As stated above, nutmeg has its own medicinal properties in relieving us of the adversities of dark circles in our day to day lives.
- Add sufficient milk to nutmeg powder to create a soft paste.
- Apply this paste to the dark circles regularly.
- Keep this on the face for 10 minutes.
- One can use lukewarm water to wash it away.
- Carry this process for 2-3 days in a week.
Practice yoga daily especially the different “Asanas” which help your body to stay fit and fine and at the same time healthy and young.
Avoid stress at all costs for a healthier and younger looking YOU!!!
Read Article on How to Withdraw from Oxycodone at Home